800 W. Airport Freeway, Suite 1127, Irving, TX 75062


call us469-845-3031

Irving Occupational Drivers License Attorney

Finding an ODL Attorney Near You

An occupational driver's license, also referred to as an ODL, is a special type of license issued in Texas that allows individuals with suspended driver's licenses to drive for limited purposes. For example, an ODL can be granted to an individual who has lost their license due to certain types of traffic violations, such as DWI. If your license has been suspended, and you are interested in obtaining an ODL or want to learn more about the requirements for this type of license, an experienced traffic violations attorney can provide you with assistance.

At the Law Office of Michelle Poblenz, we have a great deal of experience assisting drivers who have had their driver's licenses suspended. We will work with you every step of the way to ensure your rights are respected and that you have the best chance possible to obtain an ODL successfully.

What Can an ODL Be Used For?

An ODL allows an individual to perform essential daily activities, such as going to work, to the grocery store, to school, or to seek medical treatment. The ODL is limited in scope and only allows the individual to drive for specific purposes and during limited hours. The goal of an ODL is to provide Texans with the ability to earn a living and maintain their quality of life while also ensuring they are held accountable for traffic violations.

How Can You Receive an ODL?

You will first need to confirm that your license has been suspended. You can only obtain an ODL if you have a license in the first place. To apply for an ODL, you must meet specific requirements, including the completion of an application, the payment of a fee, and proof that you have an SR-22, which essentially confirms that you meet the minimum liability insurance requirements required under Texas law. An SR-22 is not actually insurance but rather a certification proving that your car insurance is valid. Once you have completed this step, you must get a certified abstract of your driving record, which can be obtained from the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS).

Your next step will be drafting the petition for your occupational license. This will be filed with the court, asking a judge to determine whether you are eligible for an ODL. You will also need to provide proof that you need to be able to drive to perform essential duties, such as school records, a pay stub, or a letter from an employer. It is important to file your petition with the correct court, as filing with the wrong court may result in an automatic rejection of your request. Once you have filed the petition, the court will schedule a hearing. The judge will review your petition and paperwork at the hearing and decide whether to grant you an occupational license.

If the judge approves your petition, they will also decide what restrictions may apply to your occupational license, such as driving at certain times and for specific purposes. Once the judge signs the order, you will be allowed to drive for 45 days until you receive your ODL. To obtain your ODL, you will need to submit a copy of your petition, the judge's order, your SR-22 certificate, and a license fee to DPS. After receiving and approving the application, DPS will issue your ODL. An ODL will usually be valid for up to one year, although in some cases, a judge may approve an occupational license for up to two years.

Contact a Dallas Occupational Driver's License Attorney

While applying for an occupational license may seem like a daunting process, an attorney can provide invaluable help. Your lawyer will ensure all the correct paperwork is submitted correctly, and they can also provide representation in a hearing and demonstrate that you meet the requirements for an ODL. At the Law Office of Michelle Poblenz, our traffic law attorney is committed to assisting clients who have had their licenses suspended, ensuring that they can obtain occupational licenses and avoid disruptions to their lives. Contact us at 469-845-3031 for a private consultation.

badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top